Friday, September 19, 2008

Scuba Diving


Ok so I personally have never been scuba diving, although I hope to eventually. The information comes from my best friend that I interviewed. She grew up on the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. She was wanting to apply for an internship at the zoo and one of the requirements was to become a licensed scuba diver. So this past summer she went and trained with an instructor on the beaches of Puerto Rico. Here is an account of her experience:

In order to a get a scuba diving license, I first had to read an informational book and then take a test over it. I had to pass the test in order to proceed in the training. Then, I had to complete 5 requirements: basic skills under water, basic retrieving and reviving, how to descend and ascend from the water without damaging my lungs, the practice of different emergency scenarios, and how to communicate with fellow divers under water.

The experience was awesome. It's a big thrill just being able to breath under water. At first it is a little daunting, but eventually you get used to it. Also, the marine life you see down there is beautiful. My tutor, who has been going down there for years, would always feed the fish. Now, they've come to recognize her so when we were down there a huge herd of fish was just following us as we swam. Just imagine a school of fish, 2 feet to 3 feet long, surrounding you as you try to swim along.


In the instructional book, it talks about how seeing a barracuda while your underwater is not at all uncommon. They are usually 3 to 4 ft in length and extremely curious. If they see something shiny, then they will follow it for quite awhile. Luckily I never saw a barracuda, but it was always a big fear.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I rank scuba diving as a 10 although I might be a little bit biased. I just can't think of anything that would be more exciting then scuba diving!


Agree or disagree with the ranking? Leave a comment and get out there and try scuba diving for yourself!

1 comment:

Jenece said...

This is one thing I would love to do in my life time. I'm scarred but I really want to do it!