Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sling Shot


3...2...1...GO!!! The two boys on either side of me immediately run in opposite directions. The blanket around my waist becomes taunt and I am launched face-first towards my opponent. We collide with a shattering CRACK and I fall to the ground wincing in pain. Walking home with a broken collar bone, I fail to see how we could have been so naive.


When my dad was younger, he and a group of his buddies came up with what they believed to be an AMAZING idea, a game they liked to call "Slingshot". They paired up with three people on each team. Two guys held the ends of a blanket, while the unlucky person stood a few steps behind them, in the middle of the loose collapsed up blanket. The other team stood in this exact stance opposite the first. When the signal was given, the people holding the edges of the blankets would run as fast as they could in opposite directions, sending the two people in the middle soaring at each other. They would then fight it out, so that the last man left standing would be the winner. This is how it was supposed to happen anyway.

The first couple of tries went OK and nobody got injured. After that though, it started to turn ugly. One unlucky guy got his nose broken by the force of the slingshot while my dad, going against someone substantially shorter than himself, received a broken collar bone from the effect of his opponents head striking his collar. The rest of the boys also walked out with various other injuries. Needless to say, they never gave their little game of 'Slingshot' a second chance.

If they had stopped after the first few times then my dad would give their game a rank of 8 but after all the injuries they ensued and the many weeks it took to recuperate, he would have to give it an overall rank of 4 Got any interesting activities you've come up with? Let me know.

No comments: