Monday, December 1, 2008

Opening Night


Picture this. The anxiety hitting you. Will I or will I not be able to get a ticket online for my favorite movie that I have been waiting months for. What? They're not selling them online for this one? What if they are sold out? Well, we'll just have to go 2 hours early and camp out. We arrived at the theatre and the only parking spaces available were the ones that belonged to other establishments and threatened to tow any non-customers. If it came down to it, I told my friend that I would pay for the towing bill in order to park closer to the theatre. Then we walked as quickly as possible to the theatre and was immediately confronted on all sides by a huge multitude of screaming, giddy girls. To my left I saw a group of girls with matching shirts, the protagonist's head on the dead center of their chests. My friend complained about being tired and how it better be good while at the same time my friend's boyfriend could only complained about being dragged into seeing a chick-flick. I was just relieved that none of the the rabid fans heard this comment and jumped to attack him.

There seemed to be a frenzy all about us, which just served to heighten my sense of excitement and suspense. Keep in mind that the show we went to was not the midnight showing, where all the crazy, die hard fans are supposed to be, but we attended the 9:40 show. As the doors opened and we were allowed in, we had to wait again in another impossibly long line right outside the doors to our theatre, where the movie attendant again double checked our ticket stubs a second time. This was the first time I have ever seen them have such high security in a movie theatre.

To my disappointment, the movie did not live up to my expectations but my friend thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Leaving the theatre, a high-pitched chatter encompasses us, while everyone discusses their opinions of the movie. It took a good twenty minutes to snake through the crowd to the exit doors considering people were lined out the doors in wait for the next showing.

All-in-all, it was an exciting experience, but a little too crowded for my liking. I would give it a rank of 6.

No comments: