Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Water Tubing


To me, this is not just an everyday thrill. This is a sport. This is my life. In the the craft of water tubing, I am The Master. I am currently facing my fiercest component yet...my younger sister.

Riding on the top of two matching tubes, hooked behind the speedboat, we face off. The driver sling-shots us back and forth over the wake. Shifting my body to the opposite side of the tube, I hang on for dear life. My body begins to slide further and further down, until my feet are dangling in the churning water. Grasping on by my fingernails, I am able to pull back on to the tube. Glancing over, I see my sister smiling at me across the waves. I show her my "I'm serious" game face and prepare for the next obstacle.

Now, my dad, our driver, has gotten bored and decides to spice things up a bit. Instead of being nice and doing 'S' curves, he drives the boat around in circles for about 3 or 4 complete revolutions. This causes the waves to join together becoming 5 times their normal height. My dad straightens the boat and heads towards the center of the immense chaos he has just created. My sister and me turn to face each other, eyes huge. The wind tears the screams from our lips.

We gripped onto the handles so hard that our hands turned bone white and hugged the tube for all we were worth, reading to face this terrifying escapade. The first few waves weren't as bad as they looked. We bounced around a lot but were otherwise, unharmed. Taking a quick breather, I look ahead and see the mother of all waves. There is no hope of coming out of this safely.

We hit it head on and our tubes go airborne. I cannot see a thing and pain shoots through my spine as my body is bent in unnatural positions. I won't give up though. I cannot lose my title of champion. I take the batter of the water as my body is slammed every which way. Water sprays into my face and I am blinded. Just when I think that I can take no more, the boat slows down and the waves die down. I look over amazed that I was able to make it through and see an empty tube in the place where my sister should be. I DID IT! I was able to outlast her (as can be seen in the picture)!!! I look to the boat and see faces of awe and amazement. No one can believe that I survived that storm.

In my book, water tubing receives a rank of 10.

No comments: